Five Years Later

From Van D.

“The human mind plans the way, but the Lord directs the steps.” Proverbs: 16: 9 NRSV

It’s been five years.  Wow!  An amazing and awesome journey that the Lord has directed me upon.

January 2017.  That is when my goals, my steps changed.  When I got sick with sepsis, was hospitalized for five months, and became an amputee.

My vessel, my body, my earthly being may have changed, but not my mind, not my soul, not my strength, not my faith, and not my spirit.

When I got sick, every aspiration, every dream was gone.  Or so I thought.
At first, I thought it was all over.  Work, travel, exercise, etc.

I learned to very much appreciate the simple things, not take things for granted: you know, walking, breathing, talking, loving…,  The list goes on.

“Persecuted, but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed.”  2 Corinthians 4: 9 NRSV

It was/is not over.  It has just begun.  I became more determined than ever to succeed.   Each mundane, every day easy task required all of my focus and energy.  But I tackled each one then on to the next.

I continue to persevere!  I am again pursuing my goals and dreams that I had before.  I might be differently abled, but I am still very much able.

“Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable”.  Before this, I was comfortable.  On cruise control, auto pilot.  I was afflicted, for the better.  God has called me to become more, as God is calling all of us to become more.

God is good, all the time.  All the time, God is good!

Thank you.

God bless you and may the peace and grace of God be with you.
Posted in
Tagged with

7 Comments

Candi Winckel - April 4th, 2022 at 10:02am

Van, you have been an inspiration and a reminder of how great our God is! No, your journey has not been an easy one, but we rejoice with you as you have persevered and overcome! You are loved 💕

Janet Liniger - April 4th, 2022 at 10:08am

Simply put, Van, we are so blessed to know you!

Darlene - April 4th, 2022 at 4:51pm

Van, whenever I read or t

Marjorie Hanson - April 4th, 2022 at 8:59pm

You are an inspiration. 💞

Lorrie T - April 4th, 2022 at 11:33pm

Van,

You are one of my heroes! I am so very proud that I have your autograph. I am even more proud that I know you -- you have accomplished so much more than us "abled" folks and I will never forget your modeling of courage, faith, and love. Thanks for teaching us all what life is really about. I pray that I can always remember your bravery as I travel through this challenging and beautiful life on earth. You are an inspiration. God Be With You Always, Amen.

Alan Gibson - April 4th, 2022 at 11:40pm

Van, your positive outlook and perspective gives all of us the motivation to endure and persevere! You are an example of how Christ wants us to live. Thank you for sharing!

Jenna Hall - April 7th, 2022 at 1:20am

Mr. Van, thank you for this post.,You are a miracle and a symbol of the strength of the human spirit. You could have easily given up and quit but you chose to let God use you to inspire, motivate, encourage and support others. He knew you were up to the task and through your faith, you have proven how we can overcome even the greatest of challenges with God by our side. You are an amazing human and so easily share your faith and your love of God and others, Thank you for the wonderful way you graciously share your story and shine your light as a true disciple. I am honored to know you and blessed to call you friend.